Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dog cookies (and runaway horses)

I made some soup this morning, so I made a batch of dog biscuits at the same time.  The stock was ready, since I'd had it simmering on the cookstove all day yesterday.  I took out a cup before adding vegetables to the rest for my own dinner.

The cookies are very simple (like nearly everything I do!).  I put two cups of flour in a bowl, added a bit of baking powder (maybe 1/2 tsp) and a couple of shakes of salt.  Then I dumped in the cup of hot stock and stirred until it was a smooth dough.  After rolling it out to about 1/8 inch thickness, I cut it into roughly equal pieces, put the pieces on a pan, and baked them.  Usually, I try to take them out of the oven when the biscuits are pale brown, but this morning, I got distracted while they were in the oven.


Monty and Bree had knocked down a gate and escaped overnight.  Bree loves to do this.  She was born a mile away from here and she likes to go visit her family sometimes.  She probably wanted to introduce them to her new friend.  Anyway, I was baking dog cookies when I looked out the window to see that Monty had come home for his breakfast.  I ran out to put him in the paddock, and overcooked the biscuits.  (I'll have to go get Bree later, after she's had time for a nice visit.)


These dog cookies are a lot cheaper than the store-bought kind, and my dogs love them.  You don't need a recipe.  Use whatever broth you have (chicken giblets are great) and whatever kind of flour you have.  The salt and baking powder are optional.  Store them in a paper bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment