Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Extreme Weather Mittens

 These mittens are quite time-consuming to make, but they are worth it if you live in a cold climate.



First, you knit your favorite mitts, but make them several sizes too big (including the thumb).  I like a pattern that has a fold-over flap so that I can use my fingers when I need to.  A two-colour pattern makes a denser knit, which adds to the warmth.

After they're complete, turn them inside out.  Starting just above the wrist, sew big loops of soft buffalo wool all over the inside of the mitt.  If you catch the inside of the knitting rather than sewing right through the fabric, it makes a nicer finish.  When the whole surface has been closely covered with the fluffy loops, turn the mitts right-side out and enjoy.


Mercury plunges
Wool warmly enfolding hands
Extreme weather mitts

When I was a child, I wore a completely different kind of extreme weather mitt that Lazy Marion could approve.  My mother would stack several layers of fabric together, using cloth of differing weights.  Then, she would have me put my hands on the stack and she'd trace around them.  She'd cut out two hand-shapes for each mitt, put the "hands" palms together, and sew them with the seams to the outside.  They aren't very pretty, but they are so warm that my mom ended up making them for all the neighbourhood kids.

1 comment:

  1. It's kinda like the lobster fishermen used to wear. Only they were made of pure wool, several sizes too big. Then as they would get wet with seawater everyday, they would shrink to size and I guess the seawater would act like an insulation, because I guess you couldn't ask for warmer mitts. It would also make them somewhat water proof. I'd like to get my hands on a pair like you make. They look nice as well as warm.

    ReplyDelete