Sunday, February 13, 2011

1992 Barn-Raising




We needed a barn before the first winter set in.  We'd got as far as putting in our foundation posts and framing the walls, when I got a phone call one morning.  At that time, Charles was attending the local church.  The pastor of the church was calling to tell me to expect a crew the next morning to put up our barn.

It turned out to be a good old-fashioned barn-raising, and it was something I'll never forget.  Twelve men showed up with their tools.  Their wives came with food at noon, and by the end of the day, the barn was complete up to the rafters.  The only things left for Charles and me to do were to put the tin on the roof, nail the siding on the walls, and hang doors.

Since that time, I've been involved in a couple of community building projects, but not nearly as many as I'd like.  It's a wonderful way to do things.  Most people are either too independent to want the help, or too dependent (so that no-one wants to help them again).  For a co-operative system to work, everyone has to do both giving and taking.  It sure makes for a strong community.




No comments:

Post a Comment