Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sheep in prison



I didn't mean to do it.  It was an accident, and I felt bad about it.  In the morning, after I'd fed the sheep and milked the goats, I walked back to the house. Later, I went off to work for a few hours.  When I returned home mid-afternoon, I spent some more time inside, since it was raining on and off, until time for the evening milking.  That's when I discovered that I'd left the sheep locked in their pen, without food or water, all day.

It didn't hurt them any.  It was only ten hours, and they're fat and healthy enough to fast for that long. However, it can't have been comfortable or pleasant for them.  They were uncomplaining, happy to see me, normally behaved.

Here's a difference between goats and sheep.  I could never have locked the goats up for the day without knowing about it, even if I spent most of that day away.  The goats would have screamed bloody murder out there.  They would have smashed the barn apart or leaped the partitions, or tried hard, at least.  The sheep just accepted the situation and waited for me to let them out.  Not every stereotype about goats and sheep is true, but this one seems to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment